The “Drilling in dEep, Super-CRitical AMBient of continentaL Europe” (DESCRAMBLE) project proposes to drill in continental-crust, super-critical geothermal conditions, and to test and demonstrate novel drilling techniques to control gas emissions, the aggressive environment and the high temperature/pressure expected from the deep fluids. The project will improve knowledge of deep chemical-physical conditions for predicting and controlling critical drilling conditions. An existing well in Larderello (Tuscany, Italy), Venelle_2, will be deepened from its present depth of 2.2 km down to 3-3.5 km. The DESCRAMBLE project will be partly supported by EU H2020 funds. The final purpose of the project is the chemical and thermo-physical characterization of the steam reservoir. The Venelle_2 well will not be converted in a production well.
Applied research/demonstrations of industrial component in an unconventional application:
- Materials: Bottom hole assembly components, Cementing process, Drilling fluids, Well materials (casing, well head, and cement
- Well design and control: the research will optimize new procedures, explicitly utilizing synergies with oil and gas industry.
- Predicting and controlling super-critical conditions: the research will optimize new procedures, explicitly using synergies with oil and gas industry. Existing simulators will be extended to the super-critical regime.
- Development of a new logging tool: suitable for measurement of pressure and temperature at supercritical conditions.
- Scientific research aspects: Seismic characterization of the super critical region, Petrophysics and log interpretation, Geochemical monitoring and Petrology.
The DESCRAMBLE PROJECT is the first part of an innovation path in three phases
- PHASE I – R&D: the activity partly financed by H2020 of deepening the Venelle_2 well, for testing new material and procedure for drilling and fluid handling in supercritical conditions.
- PHASE II - PILOT: in case of success of PHASE I a Pilot could be realized, with possibility of grants from EU (as follow up of DESCRAMBLE), MIUR and Tuscan Region.
- PHASE III - Deployment: after the R&D and Pilot phases, the experience could be replied in different locations in Italy and abroad, with a substantial cost reduction due to a learning curve effect.